Saturday, June 23, 2007

Family time in a time of transition.



Sorry it has been so long since I blogged, but I have been in some serious transitions in my family life. This picture is of me and my wife at deer camp on Christmas of 2004. This was before the birth of our Son Jonathan. On April 11, 2006 He was born and boy let me tell you that is when life got turned upside down and inside out. He came into this world weighing 9lbs 14oz, which is bigger than the average baby. When he came into our lives so many things changed for good never to go back to the same ever again. In this picture Caye and I look so happy but it can't compare to the happiness we have today because of our son.

Well just as the change came by adding him into the family we have made some more drastic changes that will forever change our lives and how we live. Three weeks ago I went into the hospital and discovered that I have diabetes and it I had probably have had it for a while. I was lucky to find it when I did. As a result I have to change my life style and how I live and eat. I have lost twenty lbs since I have had to change my diet. It is hard and frustrating but I am getting through it. My wife has been a rock for me because she started taking the diabetic diet with me so that I would not have to do it myself. Having a support staff or group means everything to me because she is showing me that she loves me and wants me to be around so we can share our old age together. She has even lost six lbs since we have been on it so she even take advantage of a strange situation.

Last Sunday we wrapped up our last week at the the church were I was on staff as associate pastor. I have been a part of that family for over eight years and have seen a lot of ups and downs, good times and bad times, but I would not trade them for anything. The reason we are leaving is so we can go start a church plant in Nacogdoches, TX. We are excited about it and yet scared as well. I was taking to a friend here recently and he asked how I was so sure that God was calling me to do it? You see he went to start a church plant and it did not work out and he lost faith in what he was doing and he stopped trying. Well when it was boiled down I told him that what was left was an unchangeable or unshakable hunch of what I am supposed to do. Well I have been thinking about that here recently. My wife turned in her notice at her school where she is a teacher and she gets paid through August and since I am no longer on staff I no longer receive a pay check. I will admit that right now I am scared to think about the possibilities of what is happening with us. We are trying to sell our house and let me tell you it is a time of severe change. I am a man and I don't handle change well and through it all God reminds me in Psalms 68 it say's Let God arise and his enemies scatter. I know that I am a man of God who get's scared but it not fear that disqualifies you but how you handle the fear. In war and on battle graound through out the world we have had men that have sucked up the fear and performed great acts of heroism and we have had great men lock up in fear and just give up.

This is a time of gut checking and asking myself will I let my fear for my family out wiegh the fear of the Lord. I stand strong in nowing that "As for me and my family we shall serve the LORD." Please keep checking in for updates on our church planting and my upcoming deer season hunting stories.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hey man, I miss you in the office! I'm glad you blogged again and I hope you keep it up through all of this transition so I can keep up with what is going on with you.

I admire you for what you are doing and we are praying your house will sell and that this transition will go smoothly and quickly.

Did I mention I miss you being around in the office?

Keep writing...I'll keep reading.

Your friend,
Rob