Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Stuck in the rut!


Here it is one week before the start of rifle deer season here in North Texas and there is a cold front coming in. It makes my imagination run wild of visions of being hunting and the rut kicks into full gear. Big monster bucks coming out looking for love in all the wrong places. Generally deer are very timid creatures that almost will never come out into the open, but in the rut they have one thing one their mind and do you want to guess what they are thinking about. They have one thing that they can think about and one thing only. In deer language it means "let's par-tay!"

Enough with the kidding around, What happens is that the Bucks get so intent on the does that they are not concerned with anything else around them. If you are lucky enough to ever to be able to watch a buck chase a doe you will notice that he has thrown caution to the wind and has given in to the desire to do what they were created to do and that is to thrive and reproduce a strong new generation of deer so that they will ensure survival of deer as God created them.

I think that as Christians we could learn a lot about our faith walk by watching deer. The Apostle Paul spoke in Phil 3:12-14 "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Just as the deer are pressing on to take hold of the goal and to win the prize so should we be in such a state of mind that nothing will sidetrack us and hinder us from doing what we were created to do and that is to Worship God without any distractions and to reproduce a strong generation that will in turn chase after God with same desire to be near their creator. That is what God wanted from man before the fall of Adam in the garden. I believe God was deeply hurt when that happened and I also think that he is over joyed when his children want him as bad as we want to breath and I am sure that in that, we achieve what GOD created us for and that is to be with him.

May we all stay stuck in the Rut. Happy hunting

No comments: